Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Am Inspired by "RECH"

Jowadwa reading the East African Standard on line today (eastandard.net) I felt really inspired by another fish member who was supported by Fr. Tony and is currently teaching in Nairobi University Kisumu Campus. Reading "University Lecturer who Lives in the Slum"has made me very proud of our humble begginings and we should not forget where we came from. I have fond memories of the days I used to do Home Visits in Kisumu starting from Obunga, Nyawita, Manyatta Flamingo and Gonda, Nyalenda Kachok, Bungu, Kite, Bala, Pandipieri, Nanga, and Dunga I do not call them Slums they are homes to us. Right now there are fish group members scattered all over the World and I believe we all belive home is best am proud to identify myself with Kisumu and the so called "slums". We should not forget home, in the case of Borniface Otieno Oriaro he says that Obunga is his home and obunga people are his people being a University lecturer does not mean that he abondons where he was brought up. I know most of us remain in our homes and are not afraid to identify with our so called slums.

About the get together am happy that you guys are thinking of these kind of Activities. I can see one of the young Okals has pledged some funds and I'll proud to help in anyway I can I will not make any pledges yet but be assured that I will chip in. Am also honoured to see my descendants or rather my Trainees in the Community Health making changes in the society wherever they are, I will not mention names but you guys know yourselfs. Am proud of you My former Fish Youth Community Health Workers. I pioneered the Fish Youth Community Health workers and was the first Fish Youth Co-ordinator. Nyasaye mondo Ogwedhu duto am proud to be Fish.

James Okal

2 comments:

odegle said...

more good news keep on coming everyday. its really a great feeling. am so much encouraged by the Fish members desire to give back to the community as much as they also gained from it

Martin Opondo said...

James, I am proud of you. You Know where we came from You did mentor me and other many people. You left me to take care of your work which I did till today. May you live to see the fruits of your work.

Martin